Tuesday 10 June 2014

How to personalise your furniture.

I spent the whole day Sunday at the most amazing DIY workshop OhMeOhMyDIY. I was privilaged to have been asked to be a mentor on upcycling. I had to get my thinking hat on though as I don't hand paint furniture, I spray paint it and I didn't want to knock everyone out with the fumes. So for one of my examples I decided to create a stencil on a small table so I would only have to spray a small section. 

A regular stencil won't do when using spray paint as the pressure will cause the paint to spread underneath. So this is how I did it... 


 Firstly I sanded and stained the piece. I found an image on google that I liked and printed it out on A4 paper. Then I covered the area I wanted to stencil in masking tape, stuck the print out down on top & used that as my guide. Using a scalpel I cut out the lettering. You don't have to put much pressure on the scalpel it will easily slice through the paper & masking tape together.


This is the most time consuming part but totally worth it! Just make sure you choose something that isn't too intricate. 



Once it is all cut out remove the remaining printed paper. At this point you can see how it is going to look & tidy up any little bits.


 Cover the rest of the piece well so it doesn't get any spray paint on it. I also took the legs off to save me wrapping them up.


I decided to spray the edge of the table as well to tie the whole thing together. 
Now you are ready to get spraying :) For small projects like this I just use a can of spray paint which you can get in Vibes & Scribes for €5.50.
 Once dry peel off all of the masking tape, buff with wet&dry paper & add a few coats of lacquer.

And here you go, the finished result! A simple, virtually mess free way to personalise a piece of furniture.



If any of you decide to give it a go I would love to see your finished products. Share them with me here: Style 25.

Happy painting!

Dee x




No comments:

Post a Comment